Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sometimes you're the windshield ...

sometimes the bug is. Before I get to that, I have to comment about the weekend.

Whether you saw it or not, the Coeur d’Alene Triathlon was absolutely spectacular. The field was stacked with pros and elite amateurs with very few notables not toeing the line.
I was all over the place, doing my best to see the race unfold. It was a bit confusing, but I had a great time. It was just like I expected it would be. The only thing I really didn’t like was that Seeley flatted. Athletes make mistakes and have to pay for it, which is part of racing, but a flat is pretty much beyond one’s control. Darling still beat everyone else with an awesome performance. My friend Steve Finley managed to win the team relay for the 8th consecutive time.

We also had the Skyfest. If you missed it, then shame on you. The opportunity to get to see the most amazing planes on the planet show their stuff is pretty rare. We even had the F-22 Raptor, the most advanced fighter plane on the planet cut loose for the first time. It’s valued at $339 million and we had two in action. I spent my 13 hour shifts guarding the Raptor, but have to get permission to post the pics due to security protocol. The Blue Angels flew, putting on an amazing show. Several other planes from the past and present took to the sky to show their stuff. There were several on static display to walk through or around. A personal favorite is the C-5, which is big enough to play football inside! The turnout was incredible as tens of thousands came out for the show. Still some make their daily trip to Starbucks for coffee, but miss out on a show like this. Even if planes aren’t an interest, which is the case for me, it’s a rare opportunity that many missed out on.

After having been annihilated with 7 x 13 hour shifts (91 hour week), I was really worn out after having spent valuable sleep time to watch Coeur d’Alene and go in early to get to see the air show (I work nights). It was very disappointing to not get to participate in such a big race. Things have been going extremely well for me in training and racing. I’m posting faster times than I’ve ever posted and figured I could do very well at Coeur d’Alene. I doubt I could have won, but certainly could have made things interesting. To put my mind at ease, I went for a hard run on Sunday. It was my best time around Medical Lake this year. Next up, I went for a TT around Clear Lake. Unfortunately, I had an encounter with a wasp or hornet about 1K from the end of the TT and 5K from home. It flew into the small gap of my tri top and stung me in the chest. If you remember my Canada story, then you’ll understand I have trouble when stung. I’m not sure if it was anxiety or a reaction, but getting home was a chore. On a bright note, I beat my all-time PR, despite slowing up and nearly crashing as I beat my chest to smash the little monster. Although I killed the little bugger, he got the best of me. Sometimes you’re the windshield and sometimes the bug is.

Since Sunday, I’ve really been struggling to make it day to day. Breathing problems, aches, dizziness, and so on. I’ve been bed ridden for four days and counting because of a sting. It’s amazing that I can work so hard to build a strong and resilient body, but just a little sting nearly hospitalizes me. I still get up for my daily run, which is embarrassingly slow. It’s not the best of ideas, but it keeps me going (four years, seven months, thirteen days in a row and counting …).

5 comments:

Spokane Al said...

Wow - that is pretty amazing what a bee sting can do - I think we have found your Achilles Heal!

I am glad to hear it has not affected your streak.

Trish said...

Bummer about the bee sting! I hope you are feeling better soon! I am totally impressed that you have run every day for over 4 years and 7 months! That is nuts! Keep that record going...

Anonymous said...

yeah, bee stings and sideaches, MWB's Achilleseszzz...

I was wondering about CdA and your non-start. I thought about heading your way Saturday to get out of festive Omak with its Stampede and WORLD FAMOUS SUICIDE RACE.

7 x 13 on the 24? Sounds like some tough repeats, none I'd like to try.

SS (aka 55)

Anonymous said...

Saw you "buzzing" around at the Cd'A tri.(pun intended) ;). Wish you could have raced! I rode past you on the bike heading out of Cd'A and saw you again at about the 2 mile mark on the run. I said "hi Mike" and you started cheering like a madman! Cracked me up! Thanks!
We had about 30-40 people at our house on Sunday watching the air show. We've got front row seats at the corner of Welcome Rd. & SR 902. The F-22 Raptor is spectacular!!
Hope you feel better soon........

M-Dot said...

Way to keep plugging along. Hope you get better fast. We did not miss the air show. It's one of this families traditions.The Raptor kicks a.. it was amazing to watch it fly and an honor to see it. I was standing there watching and I felt my nouth agap in wonder as the pilot did his manuvers.See you guys soon.Michelle and Jay