Sunday, August 3, 2008

Kiwanis: The Other Sprint Nationals

August 3rd may be the day of Troika, but to me its all about Sprint Nationals. Unfortunately it’s in New York. For the first time in five years, I’m just too worn out from work, house/yard work and training to want to take a trip anywhere other than to my bed. Although it’s not the same, I chose Kiwanis on the 2nd as my substitute. My simple goal was to race it like it were Sprint Nationals.
While Matt and Jessie aren't looking, I pour some nitro into my Podium Quest water bottle. It has two compartments, which allows me to have both nitro and water.

Judging from the responses this year, people seem to be interested in stories of humor, suffering and great battles. Last week was nothing like that and its entertainment value seemed to go over like a lead balloon. Although the race may not have been interesting, it was a very rare breakthrough for me. I suppose I can understand the lack of excitement over the success of someone who’s had his fair share of it, but it was more than just another win. To me, it was stunning. Fortunately, in terms of athletic performance, Kiwanis was very much the same. Unfortunately, the story is pretty much the same as well. My apparent lack of passion for telling this story belies just how awesome it feels to finally have a major breakthrough.

Look closely and you can see the zippers go down the side to the ankles. It's the not-so-popular Piel. I've got gear for most occasions and the Piel is perfect for this one. It's faster than going without a wetsuit and transitions much faster than any other wetsuit in the world. Every second counts.

I swam 240m (instead of what I measured at 247m) according to where I was standing when they started so unexpectedly. My time was 2:55.1, which left me rather breathless. I lead from the start and had no idea when the next person came out, but with the swim being so short, we had at least three people in T1 before I left. For the first time in years, I wore the Piel, which has breakaway zippers from shoulder to ankles that can come completely off in six seconds while running. It's perfect for a super short swim. My shoes were already on the bike, so I was in and out in a flash. Rather than taking my split right out of the transition area, I took it when I got to the road (I know the precise bike distances from there). My split for the extra long T1 was a smokin’ 1:10.5.

One of my goals was to avoid the chaos that normally comes at a buoy. With this swim being so short, that turn can be especially bad at just 120m in. Last time I was third out of the water, but avoided getting beat up. Although it would be nice to have feet to follow, being untouched for an entire swim is pretty nice. I have home court advantage. My house is 1200m away (almost directly behind me).
If it weren't for pictures, I'd have no idea how this swim ended up. I normally take a look back from time to time, but was too focused. I'm guessing I have about a :15 lead. Look at the mob near the buoy! That's too much for this hydrophobic to endure. Avoiding that mess is what motivates me in swim training even more than my desire to be competitive.

Although I’m riding a lot faster these days, it feels a lot the same. It all goes back to my line about how we all feel pain, but it happens at a different pace. Despite not feeling very good out there, my times left me pretty happy. I set a PR around Clear Lake and managed to do the entire 10.04M bike in 23:27.9 (25.67 MPH). Coming into T2, I was ready to blaze through as fast as I could. My goal was 30 seconds from the turn off Salnave to the start of the run. It seemed unreasonable, but I almost made it with a 30.9.

For now, I think it's a race against the clock. I always need goals to strive for so I don't get lazy. I don't have anyone to race through T2, unless you count that 30 second goal.
Just as I look up the driveway to Salnave to see if someone is hot on my heels, Roger tells me I have a 5 second lead. I thought it would be a rerun of Snake River Sprint when I thought I was completely alone until Ben ran past as I synched my shoes. I took a quick look at the turn, but with so many people in the park, I couldn't tell if anyone was there or not. Rather than continuing to look, I just judged from the actions of the aid station volunteers. If I got caught, I've always got the afterburners ready for the sprint to the finish.

Starting the run, my cumulative race time was 28:04.4. Roger told me I had a 5 second lead. I have to admit that I hadn’t been looking, so I was surprised. I think he was just trying to fool me. It worked. I thought someone was chasing me for nearly two miles! I was running hard enough that I wouldn't change my pace until passed anyway, so I never took a good look. My run goal was sub 17, so I pushed hard to stay on pace, but knew that could put me in under 45:00. I ran a 16:44.3 for the 2.89M (5:47.51/M). I was pleased with the run considering how hard I rode, but normally expect to run faster. My finish time was 44:48.7. Allegedly the CR was 48:18, set by yours truly. The swim was shorter than the listed 400 yards by 124m (I prefer meters to yards, so I convert), which saved me 90 seconds of the 3:30 under the CR. We’re talking a shorter sprint, not an Olympic or Half Iron. Where did the other 2 minutes come from? How is that possible on such a short race? This race has been done on more than one occasion by a few fast athletes. I can’t find my journal (must be in boxes from moving) from my two previous tries to compare splits. I know I saved a lot by nailing the transitions and biking faster, but this just doesn’t add up. Of course, it didn’t add up last week either, but the Clear Lake bike and run course is exactly the same every year, just like Kiwanis bike and run is exactly the same.
I'm polite, but I find it annoying that people think sprints are easy or think it's a walk in the park for me. At best, sprints have the most potential to be easy because they're shorter. However, everything you experience in a longer race is amplified by the greater intensity. More pain, less air, cramps, dizziness, higher heart rate, blood in your lactic acid, etc. You can work your way through problems when going at a slower pace, but you can't fake your way past the cramps, injuries, side aches, which means you have to slow down and watch the parade go by. To do well at sprints, you have to avoid all mistakes, know your limits, be willing to suffer a lot and hang on tight.

After racing triathlons since 1992, not much comes as a surprise these days. It doesn’t seem possible that I could be that much faster. I’m having trouble believing it and feel pretty uneasy about it too. On the other hand, I’m pretty good with numbers, so I’m left feeling one thing and knowing another. In this case, that’s not such a bad thing, but where was this speed six weeks ago in Estonia when I needed it most? Moreover, it's a shame I can't do Coeur d'Alene next week to go head-to-head with Seeley and Thompson (we're all in the same age group) and so many other great athletes to see how I actually stack up. I have a pretty good idea from how the race looks on paper, but races aren't done on paper.Roger and I talking tri. He's so fast on a bike that I'd need a motorcycle to keep up. We've both been racing really well this year, but unlike me, he gets to test himself against Matt Seeley next week. Can you tell I'm a bit jealous? At least I had Seeley for a house guest and got to pick his brain about training and racing. The next day, he was clearly comfortable in route to destroying everyone in Troika with a 4:02:47! His regret was not pushing the run so he could go under four hours. I'd have to tag Ryan Hall for the run to go sub 4.

15 comments:

Amanda said...

Too bad I was off doing my own ride. I would have liked to watch you race this one and helped be super sherpa on Sunday... Things just keep falling into place for you. You've worked hard and this success is well deserved.

Spokane Al said...

You definitely rock. I am surprised we hear so little about the Piel wetsuit and rarely see anyone racing in one. Between your Piel and the Softride, you definitely take the road less traveled.

P.S. It was great to finally meet you yesterday. I gotta love your haircut.

Steve said...

Nice work on the course record. I can definitely say you looked FAST. It is awesome your racing is peaking at the right time. Hopefully something crazy happens and you get to make CDA. I wish I could a 5:47 for one mile someday. You are smoking fast and just "MAYBE" the fastest around:) Thanks again for all the encouraging words and hopefully they happen.

Matt said...

great race Michael! You had over a 4:30 min lead into T2, smoking! Your time not a cig..

M-Dot said...

Michael
WAy To Take It To The Next Level! You are that fast and I've seen you work the magic.
You are working extra hard and had you share of down times. It's your time to SHINE!
Congratulations!

Ps Still love the report.

Michelle and Jay

Trish said...

Nice race Michael! Congrats on a stellar win! I am amazed at your times and would love to have seen you in action. I almost introduced myself to you at Troika yesterday(I was with Greg and Nat), but I was a little preoccupied with the Mega-Fusion. We haven't officially met have we??

BRFOOT said...

looks like another strong race.

Tiffany said...

I feel like I always right the same thing on your race reports, but I have to say it again...you are so freaking fast! Excellent work! Love the pics too - thanks for adding them in. I wonder what it must be like to be putting your shoes on when your bike is the only one on the rack??? My guess is the only way I could experience that is to be dead last in the swim! :)

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

Congrats Michael! I am like you, I think that Sprints can be just as challenging (depending on your effort level).

Your finishes (which have been outstanding) certainly reflect the effort you put into training. One day I aspire to be one of the "fast" people.

Thank you both for the card. It was very thoughtful and appreciated.

Keep setting those records!

Kelli

M-Dot said...

Love the Pics :)

M & J

Laura and company said...

Just take those results and run. No need to scrutinize...you set a course record regardless of how accurately it was measured out. Smokin race, Michael!

jessithompson said...

Love all your numbers! It was fun to see you there and watch you kill the whole field. I know Rog loved watching you race too. You were very sweet to give Emma your medal :) and lunch afterwards was great too.

It's been a great season and like Amanda said, well deserved with all the hard work! Way to go!

Roger Thompson said...

Nice race Michael. I have to say that when I told you about the 5 second lead, that came from something you said to me one time at Trailblazer or Kiwanas... can't remember. Kind of to spur me on. When you have such a huge lead going into a sub 3 mile run, it's easy to cheat yourself. This way, true or not, you can imagine that your lead is slight and put forth an honest effort. It's obviously always your choice, but as you did, you race yourself or the clock.

Missed you at Cda yesterday. But that would have meant that I would have been 7th...not 6th, and 4th in the age group, not 3rd.

I would agree with you that sprints are hard. People who say that they are easy simply have not pushed themselves. Whenever I am doing the 10k run in an Oly race, I think about why I don't do IMs because they are easier. But when I am doing an IM run, I think bout doing Olys because they are easier. The grass is always greener, but it all tastes the same when you put forth your best effort.

Nice work,
Roger

Josh said...

Nice work!! When I was running allot in high school I too hated the shorter races. I don't know what it is but a 3200 was way easier for me than the 800. From seeing you race, and reading your reports it looks like intensity is no problem for you. Keep up the good work!!

Anonymous said...

What?! No CdA Scenic Challenge?
#55, IFN