Friday, March 27, 2009

Training Update

Three weeks down. That’s what it was to recover from my frustrating injury. Frankly, the time flew and I enjoyed having more time to relax and do other things. March 23rd was go time. First up was the swim. Fairchild’s pool was finally open. After absolutely no swimming for 92 days, I needed to get a baseline after my longest known layoff (excluding my shattered collar bone). For 500m, I managed 7:46.0. My goal was to go sub 8, so I was pleased that my form was able to carry me. I’m not going to lie. It was tough to go the distance. Had the pool not closed, my plan was to be a solid sub 6:30. Looks like I’m a little behind.

Next test was the bike. I went for a 12.21M TT. This is over triple the distance I’ll race for Uberman, but still an important test. Although biking is low impact, I’ve tried to take it easy to avoid aggravating my calf injury. Ironically, my pathetic biking schedule was the bulk of my training. With the Softride and training wheels, I rode in a wind storm. It was tough going to start. My pace was so slow I don’t want to list it here. On the other hand, if you are into math, you can figure it out knowing I averaged just under 27 MPH on the way back. The only thing I really liked about my pace was the cool numbers of 12.21M @ 21.12 MPH. I’m not sure how I’m going to ride 4 miles in 9:00.

Monday was an easy run of the Eastern State Hospital 3.42M loop that I ran at 5:32 pace on my birthday (November 20th). Tuesday I decided to test my fitness on the run like I did in the swim and bike the day before. Sure, a couple days rest would give a better number, but I won’t have that luxury in a triathlon. I ran the 3.42M hard. Although I was glad to be under 8:00 pace for the first time in weeks, I was only able to run 6:20 pace. I was winded and tired early in the run. That doesn’t bode well for the Lincoln Marathon on Bloomsday where I’ve planned on running sub 6.

So I’m clearly not where I’m supposed to be. I’m way off! Despite this mess I find myself in, I’m not going to throw in the towel. Measuring myself by the pace at which I compete is a poor measure. The effort I give is what really counts. It’s the only thing I can really control. It’s really all anyone can control. No matter how fast or how slow I am, I will never let anyone push harder than I do. From here on out, I’m going to try to be smart about it, but plan to put myself through hell in order to do some catching up. Clearly my service commitment limits my schedule, but I’ll do what I always do, which is to do the best I can. What I can’t make up for with fitness, equipment and plan, I’ll try to make up with guts. I’m not going to count myself out, but I’m not going to be placing bets either.

9 comments:

Taryn said...

I know with out a doubt that you'll have a fantastic race season! Good luck on your training.... should I send over a measuring cup and a box of raisin bran? Hee hee

Unknown said...

"We must find a way, or make one."--Hannibal

Josh said...

Glad to hear you are, swimming again! You don't swim for over 90 days, and your 500 is still faster than mine! I am also glad to see that your leg is getting better. You will be going full throttle soon, just wait you might be surprised!

m said...

Sorry your injured! Long way til Uberman stil! Great that you can get back in the pool again. I can't believe you can swim so well after such a long break.

jessithompson said...

My favorite part of this post is where you talk about our effort being the only thing we can control. The only other part is our mental part... the attitude behind it all. Go get 'em. No doubt you'll give it all you've got.

M-Dot said...

Somehow I have an idea you will do just fine and torture your body back to where you want it lol...
I'm sure you will do well. It's hard when you get thrown curve balls but, you always seem to end up hitting a home run.
Keep up the work.

M & J

BRFOOT said...

Sounds like the right attitude to me.

Matt said...

I am sorry to hear your having a tuff time. Bummer but we all end up there from time to time, but it blows...Keep ya head up. Havent seen ya in a while, need to hook up! You have been doing this long enough it will come back QUICK!

Unknown said...

Stop playing Tribal Warfare and write that Wenatchee Marathon RR.