Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Righteous Richland (mountain bike) Sprint Tri

I swear I don’t spend time thinking of stupid things to do. I’m not fond of self torture either, yet ended up with a heavy dose of both. It’s a behavioral disorder. Two sprint Tris: Race the River or Righteous Richland? Ryan Brown was signed up for his hometown race in Richland. It’s an off road tri, he’s an off-road racer and trains on this course. We’d have a sleepless unskilled off-road racer drive more than two hours to an unfamiliar course to race the local favorite and three-time defending champion. I figured Roger would whoop me, but Ryan would whoop me by more, so I chose Righteous Richland for a better challenge. Why sleep when I could race?

I put borrowed ITU aero bars on a borrowed mountain bike. It took some thick pads in the clamps to hold the bars in place … sort of. My hope was to limit my losses riding aero on the paved section. Vertical Earth couldn’t be aware of my poor mountain biking skills. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have loaned me a mountain bike. After work I drove the whole way without dozing off. I had just enough time to get set up and do the short warm-up swim I promised myself after Ironman. The race: ½-mile swim in the river, 12-mile bike and 5K run.

I quickly took the lead, but a guy was trying to outrace me. I eased up and got on his toes. Oh, so it’s time to get lazy? Nope. I’m just racing smart. Meanwhile, the smart/experienced ones arced wide to let the current carry them to the lead. I was distracted until the swim exit angle was 45 degrees, then 90 degrees and finally, I was swimming back toward the exit against the mild current near shore. Next time I’ll probably remember to adjust my aim for the current and not lose my lead.

My 6:50 swim was top 5, but Ryan was ahead. I hoped for a :30 buffer. Game over! Refusing to listen to those silly details, I charged the hill, and blazed T1, exiting in first place. My split was 1:25 … sort of. Arriving late kept me from hearing that the mount line was just out of T1, normally a no-brainer. We were in a park and had to work our way to the road. Hello rookie! Mountain bikers ride off-road. I’m running as Ryan rides past me. I got my T1 split at the road.

One thing to know about Ryan is that he’s a fast biker. I’m talking Roger fast. If the bike I was riding had a panic button, I’d push it. Instead, I just went hard and hoped I could finish biking without getting passed by too many. Remember how the aero bars needed pads to fit better? I didn’t. I almost crashed as the pad squished and the front end dropped almost to the tire, making it feel like they were made from a garden hose. Sorry volunteer guy. I wasn’t trying to swerve at you like that.

The bars were terrible, but more stable and comfortable than resting my forearms on the handle bars like a real biker can. Mountain bikes feel like they can corner at any speed. After nearly making it into the river for the 2nd time this race, I decided to be more careful. At the off road section, I was thrilled to be just :15 down. I scanned the terrain and worked the single track for all the speed I could get. Rolling up to an arrow pointing to the right, I went wide, leaned and powered into that corner.

Apparently God isn’t required to make corners like people do. It was about 100 degrees, covered with sand and just wide enough to roll a basket ball between the trees and bushes. It’s OK that I wasn’t on the path, but not OK that my face, neck, hands, and arms were getting raked by the trees and bushes. Why waste time with glasses to protect my eyes? Seeing where I was supposed to go wasn’t working for me anyway. I had no idea where Ryan was. I didn’t know where I was. It reminds me of youth group … way back when I was half my age. The pastor said “If you can’t follow the straight and narrow, then swerve across it as much as possible.” That’s how my ride went.

I hit nearly every branch and bush on (or was it off?) the course. Nearing the road I was told Ryan was 1:45 up. The good thing about his lead being 7 times bigger is that it’s less than 8. Allegedly he had to stop for a quick CO2 blast to fill a low tire. I had a low tire too, but was planning on airing it up after I crashed (the fastest way to stop). I made it back to T2 in 2nd. My ride was 34:39 (20.78 MPH). I had scratches from waist to helmet. Note to self: Next time wear a shirt and glasses retard.

A high school XC relay dude took off while I was in T2 for 18 seconds. I didn’t expect to catch XC or Ryan (around 1:30 to 2:00 ahead). On the first corner, I realized I forgot to synch my shoes. That’s just too darn bad. I can tighten them when I sit down to cry until I get dehydrated at the finish line, but for the moment, I was busy. First lie, “I can pass XC guy within a quarter mile.” Naturally, I try it and caught him. Next lie, “If I run really hard for a mile, then I can walk. It’s over anyway.”

I pushed so hard I sounded like a drowning asthmatic cow. I saw a guy up the trail on his daily run. Pretending it was Ryan, I gave chase. To my surprise, it was Ryan. Sneaking up on him was out of the question. He was having a good run (according to him), but I was closing in fast. With a mile to go, I ran up on him. He sped up and I thought, “He was just cruising and is now going to crush me.” I called myself some mean names to get fired up (works every time). So I’m psychotic! Instead of letting him surge ahead, I ran stupid fast and passed him trying to make it look easy. I wasn’t fooling anyone.

He lost the draft, so I kept pressing to keep him from coming back. I pushed for 1:30 to make him think I could run that fast. It doesn’t make sense to run faster than I was capable to make someone believe I could run that fast. My legs were fine, but my lungs and guts didn’t totally love it (stole that last part from Jessi). I thought he was holding a small gap and waiting to sprint past me, so I kept pushing and doing time/distance math (I love math) to coax myself to the finish. To my surprise, I got there before he did.

My run time was 17:20 (5:34.73/M) and my finish time was 1:00:34. Ryan came in :28 seconds back. I don’t know if the run was long or short. I just know I got lucky. I did what I thought I couldn’t do. Rather than my traditional 180 second walk, I stumbled under a tree and fell on my face … still gasping violently for air. A nice man named Steve told me to keep walking to keep lactic acid from pooling up. I was OK with lactic acid. I was not OK with moving. I wondered if the challenge of beating the odds is worth it. I thrive on that more than winning. If winning mattered, then I’d avoid the fast guys and the races they have an advantage in, especially when I have to travel on no sleep. A few times this year I’ve gutted out wins over better athletes. I know I’m not the fastest, so I guess I have to be the toughest.

14 comments:

Spokane Al said...

I am impressed that you decided to became one with nature by riding through the trees with no shirt.

Your tale was terrific and your win was inspirational.

Congratulations and keep rocking!

Tiffany said...

Ok, now this was funny! I can't believe you went and did this race! Regardless of what you say, you DO enjoy self-inflicted torture! Way to push yourself hard as hell and come out on top! Unreal! I'm really trying to understand how you run so fast, but I just can't wrap my head around it!

Steve said...

Sounds like a fun race. The way you approach each race is awesome and the results speak for themselves. Your race reports are hilarious with each one sounding like you may need to be pulled behind a truck to finish the race. Nice work on winning the race. Keep up the hard work.

Sheena (DUR) said...

Dude. Seriously funny! Why follow the "norm"? And I can't believe you held that kind of time on a MOUNTAIN BIKE! My legs hurt just thinking about it!
Way to rock it~ can't wait for your next race!

LORIE said...

i plan to be at the Tiger Tri. See you there!

Amanda said...

It really is too bad that we have such conflicting schedules. I hate missing your events because I covet times when I get to say "yeah, that's my husband"! One day we will have similar work schedules and not only will we be able to sleep at the same time but I will actually get to come to more of your races. hearing abou them is just not the same.

M-Dot said...

Wow, you are just amazing. Great job. You are an inspiration. How you do this with no sleep:0 Amazes us.
No Shirt No glasses.... Ouch!
Keep it up Michael you will go down in triathlon Infamy!

Michelle and Jay

Anonymous said...

How do you even train to race in conditions wrought by your work schedule, flora & fauna, travel time, equipment??? Do you ever sleep, or do you just power down and conserve energy for critical systems? Apparently, your preparation is less orthodox than most, with sufficient results to stutter: "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

55

Phaedra Cote said...

Michael! I am not boycotting you....I haven't taken the time to read your blog until today because you rarely have pictures! I know this sounds horrible but it's hard for someone with A.D.D to read something without any pictures. :)

I did sit down and read this great story, first thing this morning and really enjoyed it. You are a GREAT writer and I laughed out loud many times. AND there were pictures! Great ones too.

I love when you take the time to read my blog and comment. I've never boycotted you. I love your attitude and it looks like I just need to hunker down and read some other great posts. I'm sorry I haven't commented earlier.

GREAT RACE! That's an awesome story. I wonder how surprised Ryan was when you passed him. Wish I could have been there to see it.

I look forward to your next post and thanks for not giving up on me :)

Phaedra.

Ali Ty Stitt said...

Yeah, How fun! Looks like a good race and the first I've seen someone race without a shirt! get a good tan? :)good racing as always!

Hey thanks for the offer on coming to your house for open swim off your dock... I will take you up on that. Can't say I will miss the slimy poopy goose rocks! :) Thanks again... You rock!

Nat said...

Sounds like an interesting race! I love the pictures!

BRFOOT said...

I'll take tough anyday. People are born fast you have have to earn tough.
Good Job!

Roger Thompson said...

Wow, here I was suspecting to read a great race report for Tiger Tri and instead I read one on some silly Mt. Bike race :). What in the world are you doing? I like to ride mountain bikes, but one of the reasons racing them never really stuck was because it never felt smooth, or pure. Some would argue, but there is something about getting on a road bike and laying out out there and cheating the wind as much as possible and focusing every amount of energy into your legs. Everything says 'smooth.' Mountain biking was/is about thrashing through the bushes on a two wheeled semi truck. Just a different race. So it surprises me that you would do something like this when you are so 'technical,' but then again doesn't because you like to do crazy things that make you suffer. Both which make you a better athlete.

Amazing race and account of it. Race the River was fun and a well organized race, but I think you would have won that with this kind of performance. As 'we' get older we often have to rely on racing smarter... sounds like you are still racing on pure youth and gutting them out AND racing them smart. That does not bode well for the rest of us if we want to come in ahead of you.

Congrats,
Roger

Kelli Rydeen and Family said...

Michael,

You are having some amazing races. Your honest account of each is fantastic, and the humor you insert is so refreshing. I read your posts at night (when time allows) so I don't miss anything. From one fellow blogger to another keep em coming!

Kelli